Çorum is not only famous for its grilled chickpeas called leblebi, but it also has an important historical significance. It is indeed around this Anatolian city that the Hittites established their realm in the 2nd Millennium BC. Read the rest of this entry »
YILDIZ PALACE – CHALET
Yildiz, covering an area of 500,000 square meters on a location overlooking the Bosphorus between Besiktas, Ortakoy and Balmumcu is a coppice of which settlement dates back to the Byzantine period. The coppice, named as “Kazancioglu Garden” after the Turkish conquest of İstanbul, probably became one of the private gardens of the sultan (“Hasbahçe”) during the reign of Sultan Ahmed I (1603-1617).
TOPKAPI PALACE MUSEUM
After the conquest of Istanbul by Mehmed the Conqueror at 1453, construction of the Topkapı Palace was started at the year 1460 and completed at 1478 . Palace was built upon a 700.000 squaremeters area on an Eastern Roman Acropolis located at the Istanbul Peninsula between Sea of Marmara, Bosphorus and the Golden Horn. Topkapı Palace, was the administrative, educational and art center of the Empire for nearly four hundred years since Mehmed the Conqueror until Sultan Abdulmecid who is the thirty-first Sultan. Although Palace was abandoned by the Ottoman Dynasty by moving to the Dolmabahçe Palace at middle 19th century, Topkapı Palace was protected its importance everytime. Read the rest of this entry »
Ulu Cami, also known as the Great Mosque in English and the Armenian Church are the two unmissable jewels of Sivrihisar. Read the rest of this entry »
Located approximately 100 kilometres south-east of Eskişehir, the small Anatolian town of Sivrihisar counts just over 20 000 inhabitants. Little-known to most tourists, it has an interesting heritage and is worth a visit. Read the rest of this entry »
Here you are some images from our
last visit to Sagalassos
The city of Amasya, situated on the banks of the river Yeşilırmak, about 120 km south of Samsun on the Black Sea, is undoubtedly one of the finest Anatolian cities. Read the rest of this entry »
Ancient Giant Stadiums of Anatolia
Modern sports and Olympic Games have their roots in ancient games. During the Greek and Roman periods in Anatolia athletic games and competitions, gladiatorial fights and chariot races were held in giant stadiums. Stadium word comes from the Greek word “stadion”, a measure of length equalling the length of 600 human feet. A Roman stadium was defined somewhat differently to be a distance of 125 passus (double-paces), equal to about 185 m (607 ft). Although in modern terms 1 stadion = 600 ft (180 m), in a given historical context it may be larger or smaller as we see often in stadiums of Anatolia.
There are many Greek an Roman stadiums in Anatolia. Aphrodisias Stadium is probably one of the best preserved structures of its kind in the world. At Perga stadium a colonnaded gallery 234 m (768 ft) long was carried round above the seats. At Perga, Magnesia and Aizani the stadiums were built on the level ground. The stadium at Ephesus was 230 m (755 ft) long, cut in the hill on one side and enclosed with masonry on the other. The largest stadium is located at Laodicea ad Lycum, 355 m (1165 ft) long, with semicircular (sphendone) terminations at each end. Some of the stadiums are next to the theaters such as the ones in Magnesia, Tralles, Sardes and Pergamum. Among the stadiums lost since the nineteenth century are those at Smyrna, Heraclea Salbake, Myndus and Tarsus, among those discovered since then are those at Perinthus and Labraunda. The stadium at Halicarnassus was found and covered and built again.
We have tried to compile a detailed list of stadiums in Anatolia. Feel free to comment and the list will be updated and expanded.
The list of Stadiums of Anatolia
Date First Century A.D.
Length 270 m (890 ft)
Width 60 m (200 ft)
Track Length 225 m (738 ft)
Track Width 30 m (98 ft)
Seat Rows 30
Aphrodisias is a city in Caria, on the southwest coast of Asia Minor. Its site is located near the modern village of Geyre, Turkey, about 230 km (140 mi) south-east of İzmir and about 100 km (62 mi) inland from the coast.
The Aphrodisias Stadium was built in the first century A.D. to host athletic contests such as foot races, wrestling, long-jumps and discus and javelin throwing.It was used for athletic events until the city theatre was badly damaged by a 7th century earthquake, requiring part of the stadium to be converted for events previously staged in the theatre. The stadium measures approximately 270 m (890 ft) by 60 m (200 ft). With 30 rows of seats on each side, and around each end, it would have had a maximum capacity for around 30,000 spectators. The track measures approximately 225 m (738 ft) by 30 m (98 ft).
The stadium is considerably larger and structurally more extensive than even the stadium at the Sanctuary of Apollo at Delphi. The Aphrodisias stadium is probably one of the best preserved structures of its kind in the World.