A first museum was built between 1900 and 1913 near the Acropolis of Pergamon, where searches were started in 1878 by German archaeologists Carl Humann and Alexander Conze.
The searches stopped during World War One and resumed in 1927. Due to the large quantity of findings, it was deemed necessary to build a bigger museum.
The construction of the new museum was ordered by Marshall Fevzi Çakmak who visited the site in 1932. In collaboration with the Germans, it was decided that the new building would be erected on top of an old cemetery.
German architects Bruno Meyer and Harold Hanson drew the plans for the museum and the foundations were built in 1933. The inauguration of the building took place on October 30 1936 and was performed by the prefect of Izmir Fazlı Güleç.
A number of empty spaces were planned for future enlargements. An ethnography section was added in 1978 and the garden and archaeology section were subsequently refurbished.
The museum’s collection includes findings from the Acropolis, the Asclepieion, the Red Basilica and the old town, as well as some artefacts discovered on the ancient sites of Pitane (Çandarlı), Gryneion (Yenişakran) and Myrina (Aliağa).
The ethnography section shows scenes of local life in the past and a number of carpets from the region.
And here ends our discovery of Pergamon and its countless treasures.