TurkeyVision
Fouilltes de Sagalassos

St. Stephen of the Bulgars in Istanbul, a church completely of iron

Amazing Church of St. Stephen of the Bulgars is in the district of Fener, situated on the Golden Horn in Istanbul.
In 1849, the Bulgarian Orthodox community of Istanbul, attached to the Fener Greek Orthodox Patriarchate, demanded independence and the right to create its own church from the authorities.
Prince Stephan Bogoridi, a senior official of Bulgarian origin settled in Istanbul, offers his property to his countrymen on the banks of the Golden Horn. The first floor of the wooden house is transformed into a chapel inaugurated in 1849 and became a small church. Read the rest of this entry »

No Comments »



Turquie Web GuideL'agenda CulturelGalerie VidéoBlog